Thursday, September 27, 2012

Interactive chart lets you play, learn



Today I will talk about an interactive chart showing the average debt by the time of a student’s graduation as part of a series from the New York Times. I suggest that you play with the chart first. You can type in a university to follow its path, mess with the buttons on the left to see different categories and how each university stacks up.

What’s different about it?

The chart is really intuitive and I find something new every time I mess with it. (This time around I found the Athletic Conference tab) There are plenty of articles and other little interactive things that are a part of this series but I think this is a great tool used to compare and show the rise in tuition while weighing them against other universities. If you see the chart, I can bet you’ve seen nothing like it.

Why I like it.

I like it because it’s the only way you can give a story with this many numbers and categories justice. You can’t write a text story with all of this information and think the audience would No. 1 want to read it or No. 2 not get confused.

Why you should like it.

Can you imagine how much work went into this? This wasn’t made by selfish people. This wasn’t a simple 700-word story a writer finished half-asleep at 3 a.m. This chart took time, wo/man power and was made to be easy for an audience member to use. Give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment